Without the help of volunteers, the Sheep Fair and Village Festival would simply not be able to continue. If you could spare just a few hours over the weekend of the Fair, or on the days leading up to it, we would like to hear from you. Please get in touch through our Contact page.
If you would like more details on what activities we need help with, please see below:
General Volunteer Duties:
NOTE: High visibility jackets and guidance will be given. Specialist items such as walkie talkies will be provided as appropriate.
1) Marshalling during arrival.
This role involves assisting the Sheep Fair team in directing stall holders to the location of their pitch and occurs between 07:30 & 10:00. The role also includes ensuring that access routes around the Green are kept clear so did involve asking stall holder to quickly off load and then move their vehicle out of the way of others. Ensuring that vehicle movements are safe during this busy period is also an important factor. These marshalls generally work in pairs.
2) Marshalling during stall holder departure.
This role is normally allocated in 3-4 hour slots from 15:00 until 18:30. This simply entails ensuring that vehicles are marshalled onto and around the Green in safe manner whilst there are still public present. These marshalls also assist the Sheep Fair team in the break down of the arena at the end of the day.
3) General Event Marshalling Throughout the Day.
This role is normally allocated in 3-4 hour slots from 10:00 until 18:30. It simply involves being on the green and walking around in a high visibility jacket acting as a point of contact for members of the public wanting to know what’s where, when its’ happening, how to find the Site Office, lost persons etc etc. These marshalls also assist the Sheep Fair team in the break down of the arena at the end of the day.
4) Traffic Marshalling
This occurs throughout the day from 07:00 up until 17;30 and entail directing stall holders and the public to the appropriate location / car park. This role is normally allocated to volunteers in 4 hours slots. Traffic marshalling for the Car Parks will be in conjunction with the Findon Valley Scouts, who assist the Sheep Fair every year. This role will include the use of walky talkies (provided)
5) Evening Event Marshalling
This duty occurs from 19:30 until 23:30 and can be split into two shift if there are enough people. We have event on the Friday and Saturday evenings where we are required to provide marshalls to ensure public safety should an emergency occur. The Sheep Fair engage an Event Security contractor, our marshalls supplement this. In addition to ensuring that No Smoking & under age drinking is not occurring , the marshalls also walk the perimeter of the marquee area to ensure all is normal. Should a marshall encounter something they are encouraged to notify the Security contractor or a Sheep Fair committee member.
Sheep Section Duties:
1. On the Thursday before the show volunteers are required to help erect pens on Nepcote Green late afternoon.
2. On the Friday all day help is needed erecting plastic fencing around the perimeter of the animal section, also creating judging rings.
3. On the Saturday helpers are needed to do a one or two hour duty wearing a high visibility top,to help and assist the public in the animal section.
4. On Sunday morning volunteers are required to help dismantle the pens and pressure wash them before they are collected on the Monday. Also to help in general to clear up any rubbish on Nepcote Green.